Fizzies Toilet Freshener Bombs


I really don't clean my toilet that often. There I said it, please don't judge me. You see, there is only myself and my husband, hubby is off at work five days a week, and it just doesn't get that dirty. I find that most of the time our toilet just needs a quick wipe down. But what I do need is a bowl freshener to use between those cleanings. I would think such a thing would be wonderful for busy mom's that have to clean toilets often. Something to just freshen and deodorize and even kill bacteria. Oh, and it would be great if it made the whole bathroom smell fresh at the same time. Well, such a thing actually exists, and you can make it yourself at home in no time!



I have seen these Toilet Fizzies or Bombs on several websites so I have no idea who to give credit to for the original idea, but these really are the bomb. (hehe) They just fizz away, deodorizing and eliminating bacteria and making everything smell fresh and clean. Perfect for a quick freshener when company drops by or to leave out in a nice container for use when things get really stinky.

You are not going to believe how easy these are....here we go

Get your ingredients out, also a bowl, some type of mold if you have one (if not you can make them into balls with your hands), a spoon, a small spritzer bottle, some droppers for your essential oils (optional), and a cookie sheet (optional).


You will find citric acid with the canning supplies in grocery stores.


Mix the baking soda and citric acid together in a bowl.


Mix the essential oils and water together in the spray bottle.



If you just poured the liquid into the dry mixture it would fizz up so you will use your spritzer to gently spray the liquid into the dry mixture stirring as you go. Be patient this will take a minute. Your mixture will be ready when you can get it to clump in your hand. 


If you place your mold pan onto a baking sheet it will make clean up easier.


Spoon the mixture into your molds and press down firmly. Or, you can form into balls with your hands. This recipe should make 16-24 fizzies, depending on your mold size.

I used a simple square silicone mold, because I had one, but you can use fancier molds too. Molds that have a lot of intricate design may not be a good choice as I would think they might crumble easily when getting out of the mold but there are plenty of cute shapes that would look wonderful.

I do recommend you use high quality essential oils to ensure deodorizing and antibacterial properties. I buy mine from Spark Naturals because they offer the highest quality products at great prices and their customer service is exceptional. You can save 10% on a order placed with them by using code ENJOY at checkout! ♥






Ingredients:
  • 1 1/3 cup baking soda
  • 1/2 cup citric acid
  • 1 teaspoon water
  • 30 drops Lavender essential oil
  • 30 drops Lemon essential oil
  • 30 drops Peppermint essential oil

Instructions:
  1. Mix baking soda and citric acid in a bowl
  2. Mix essential oils and water in a small spritzer bottle
  3. Spray water & essential oil mixture into the dry mixture mixing as you go. When it sticks together when squeezed in your hand, it is ready.
  4. Fill molds and let dry for several hours or overnight
  5. Carefully unmold and store in airtight (completely dry) container
When ready to use, just drop one into the toilet bowl and let it do its fizzy thing! ♥

Note: after I made these I read that you can spritz these with equal parts vinegar and water to create a crust, which is supposed to help hold them together. Mine held together fine without it but worth knowing.





I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you try these or if you have any questions.

AFFILIATE DISCLAIMER

As an affiliate with Spark Naturals I am able to offer you a 10% discount by using my code ENJOY on your entire order (does not apply to Oil of the Month) and I will receive a small compensation.

This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


2 comments: